Regardless of where kids go to school, their parents face a great deal of anxiety as they approach the high school years. All of us have heard the horror stories of teenage angst, rocky relationships, and lack of direction. Our kids change and develop so much during high school. Yet, a great deal is riding on the choices made during those four years. Because things have changed drastically since we were in school, it is hard to know how to guide them.
The first questions a parent must ask and answer for themselves revolve around what they want for their kids:
- Do you intend to leave all doors open with intriguing options or do you want the quickest route to a job or career?
- Are you willing to allow them to take risks with the possibility of failure or do you keep everything in their comfort zone to guarantee their success?
- Are you on board with allowing them to pursue only the things they love or will you require that they attempt unpleasant and difficult things as well?
There are no right or wrong answers to these questions, but you do need to be honest with yourself as you lay a foundational plan for high school.
Next, I would encourage you to pencil in a plan.
- What classes should they have?
- What tests should they take?
- What colleges or career training should they consider?
- What activities will help them develop their potential?
I would encourage you to leave room in your plan to be surprised. For kids who are challenging themselves, something magical often happens to around the sophomore year. A passion ignites, a career direction changes, a maturing adult is on the move. It is a heady time and an exciting one for families who have a foundational plan in place.
If you are interested in learning how to construct a fluid plan for your children’s high school career, I hope you’ll make time to join me March 13-14, 2017 for a live class! I’ll share a wealth of information with you and answering your questions.
Are you on our VIP List? If you would like to receive our newsletter, be the first to be notified of sales and new classes, and get special updates, click here! http://www.aiminghigherconsultants.com/free-guide/