A year ago, my husband and I were resting under the shade of some immense trees in one of our favorite state parks – Red Rock Canyon. It was about dusk and suddenly the air was filled with crashing and fluttering. To our wonder and delight, flock of wild turkeys barely skimmed our heads as they flew across the canyon bottom to their night roosts in the trees just across the way. It was an amazingly serendipitous experience of being in the right place at the right time.
Last weekend, we expectantly set up our camping chairs in the same spot at about the same hour hoping for a repeat performance. All evening we could hear them gobbling back and forth. Meanwhile, we enjoyed watching the squirrels leaping through trees and the hawks soaring overhead in the peaceful hush of dusk. The turkeys stayed completely hidden this time and we were a bit disappointed that the excitement failed to materialize a second time.
It reinforced a growing awareness that opportunities happen once. Magic cannot be recreated. Wonder has a single chance to be enjoyed.
I think most of mankind lives under the delusion that there is plenty of time for do-overs and second chances. We somehow feel that tomorrow is guaranteed, that we will finally have a chance to make things right or to savor an experience.
I’ve lost count of the times throughout my life when:
- I’m in a hurry, but next time I am here I will . . . .
- My child wants to share a discovery with me and I explain that they can show me tomorrow. Mama’s busy right now.
- I’m enjoying this moment and I think I will come back to this place when I have time to really appreciate it.
- My husband is in a mood to talk and I just want to finish cleaning the kitchen.
- A tender moment with a friend passes because I couldn’t muster the courage to say what needed to be said.
I’m doing a better job these days of taking moments as they come and being grateful for the gift. I have yet to get that second chance for delight and wonder. I have to take it when it comes and let it transform my life into one of joyful awareness. I hope your summer is infused with amazing moments and that you have the wisdom to make the most of them.
Are you on our VIP List? If you would like to receive our newsletter, be the first to be notified of sales and new classes, and get special updates, click here!