The older I get, the more aware I am of the fact that life is absolutely unpredictable. There is no scary rollercoaster on the planet that comes close to the twists and turns that make up the average lifetime. Few people at fifty are living the life they envisioned at twenty.
While we try to protect our children from the ups and downs of our own life and career, we need to help them understand an important concept early so they can embrace the vicissitudes they will be faced with.
In our discussions with our kids, in our modeling for them of how to live, and in the training of our offspring, we need to stress over and over again a concept a wise mom recently shared with me:
“When you make good choices, you get more choices.”
Simple, but profound, it is a cornerstone for personal growth and provides the best trajectory for reaching our own and our children’s’ potential. Let me give you some examples of how this concept comes into play:
- Choosing to work hard to develop competency will eventually bring enjoyment and more opportunity to do what you love whether it is in music, math, or martial art
- Meaningful activities in high school and college can lead to early internships that can result in landing a job as early as the junior year in college
- Taking advanced math in high school will lead to more possibilities of majors in college and more options in careers
- Taking the proper standardized tests in high school opens doors to more selective schools
- Job shadowing in high school and college gives a more clear picture of career options and can mean fewer changes in major, thus saving money on the total cost of a degree
- A solid degree from a good college will provide more and better job prospects
- More marketable skills mean flexibility if a job goes south and more confidence to transition to a different career field
- A more lucrative job, responsibly handled, means a financial cushion to ride out the hard times
There is no arguing with the fact that good choices today mean more choices tomorrow!
Are you on our VIP List? If you would like to receive our newsletter, be the first to be notified of sales and new classes, and get special updates, click here!